The Music Teacher Development Program offers professional development and work opportunities to musicians with music certifications and/or music degrees through the Richmond Music School Society. Participants learn basic pedagogy techniques and methods through regular workshops, clinics, one-on-one mentorship and hands on teaching with the guidance of the Program Coordinator.
- Participants must be 18 years and older
- Minimum equivalent to ARCT, LRSM or higher
- Copies of diplomas/degrees are required at the time of registration
- Resumes, registration and interview required
- References required (references cannot be from family and/or friends)
Program Details and Guidelines
Duration of Program
The Music Teacher Development Program is a three year program with a component of professional development (PD) hours structured as follows:
1st year Teacher Apprentice – 20 PD hours
2nd year Teacher Apprentice – 15 PD hours
3rd year Teacher Apprentice – 10 PD hours
Professional development hours may be performed throughout the year or in one single session.
Attendance and Commitment Policy
All Teacher Apprentices will be required to adhere to the following:
- Commit to 8 hours of teaching per week
- Attend monthly workshops with the Coordinator, in the form of a group huddle with ‘live’ teaching and peer-to-peer feedback
- Attend all info sessions, meetings and workshops provided by the School
- Info Sessions and Meetings: 2 per year
- Workshops: 8 per year for 1.5 hours at a time
- Participate in the activities of the Society by entering Students in the School and outreach concerts
Interested? Please fill out this application form, and we will be in touch.