March 28, 2022 (updated)
BC Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, announced that the Public Health Order requiring masks to be worn in public indoor spaces was lifted as of March 11, 2022, just before our Spring Break. You can read more at https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022HLTH0081-000324.
The latest changes indicate that while face coverings will be optional for people in all indoor public settings, individual organizations can choose to continue to require mask-wearing on their premises. As such, RMS will continue with the current approach, requiring masks to be worn in classes for all students, and teachers until June 30, 2022. I will review this policy regularly and if possible, this may be lifted sooner.
The mask policy will be exempted at RMS for all performances and video recordings for virtual events. Students are recommended NOT to wear a mask during live performances, and recordings. However, as people have various levels of comfort as we move into this new phase of the pandemic, if students choose to wear masks during performances, and recordings, it will also be respected as a personal choice.
As the pandemic is not over, and B.A.2 variant cases are rising rapidly, I am monitoring the situation regularly and will update you all on whether we will have our school-wide face-to-face Gala concert at the end of this school year (June 2022).
Please continue to monitor your personal health and do not visit our campus or attend any classes if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
Richmond Music School continues to maintain COVID-19 safety protocols to help protect the health and safety of students, faculty, parents, and staff. If any student/parent needs a mask, please go to the office to obtain one.
What should students and teachers do if tested Positive for Covid-19?
Vaccination Policy- Group Classes and Ensembles
In accordance with the health orders, indoor recreational activities under 50 people will not be required to show vaccine proof and as stated on the BC government website, no vaccine proof is required for "before and after school programs for K to 12 students".
At this time, RMS will not be requesting students to show vaccine proof but will continue to enforce our covid-19 safety protocols in all our group lessons.
Proof of vaccination will not be required for private lessons. It is also not required to enter or exit to drop off or pick up your child.
For further information about proof of vaccination: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
COVID-19 PREVENTION PROTOCOLS:
1 ) Mask Policy - All individuals entering a music studio/classroom MUST WEAR a mask.
Due to the rapid spread of the Omicron virus, it is recommended to upgrade to N95 or KN95 masks.
No Mask = No Lesson, No Teaching.
2) Parents are encouraged to drop off and pick up students at the main entrance. Do not enter the building unless you need to. One parent is allowed entry into the music studio/classroom at a time during private lessons. Parents with young students under 10 years old should ONLY drop off and pick up at the studio's entrance. Parents with students who are above 10 years old are encouraged to wait outside the building.
3) Prior to entering the studios, Students should wash their hands. Upon entering the studio, students should also use the hand sanitizer provided in the room.
4) All individuals entering the studios must fill in the log sheet with the date, and time of the lesson, name of the student, health declaration checked, and initial/signature.
5) Students and teachers should try to maintain a social distance of 6 feet.
6) After the lesson is finished, please use hand sanitizer to disinfect your hands, and make sure you gather all your belongings, including garbage (tissues, mask, wipes) and throw them away in the big garbage bin near the main entrance of the Richmond Alliance Church.
7) All piano keyboards are cleaned and disinfected before the lesson and after with hydrogen peroxide by the teacher.
8) Please note RMS office is NOT open to the public. Only RMS staff and designated volunteers are allowed in the office. Parents, students, and faculty members who require assistance or service from the office staff, please remain outside the entrance, the office staff will attend to your requests as soon as possible.